I've been sitting in our dining room today as it's just too hot in my craft room. This has meant plenty of running up and down stairs to get all my bits and pieces, so hopefully I've burned a few calories along the way.
I needed a few thank you cards following the generosity of my former colleagues and the staff at the school where I have been volunteering.
I tried two different colouring styles: watercolouring using pencils
... and then with Distress inks.
To be honest I'm not totally happy with either effort, so if anyone can recommend a good colouring tutorial for these mediums I'd be very grateful. The flower stamp is from a Hero Arts cling set and the sentiments are from Papertrey Inks Signature Sentiments set.
The essential ingredient for the LIM Challenge is 'sewing' so I've opted for some faux stitching. If you get the chance you really must drop by at the LIM Blog as the entries for this week's challenge are fabulous!Happy crafting everyone!


21 comments:
I've not used either medium to color, so I can't help ya there. I use Copics or Prisma markers to color. I've only used my distressed inks for dyeing paper & ribbon, so I'll be watching if you post a tutorial on coloring with them! :)
I like the bright colored flowers with the kraft for sure. Beautiful card & your faux stitching gives a nice finished look!
blessings
Gorgeous card, I love the image and your colouring looks great to me. I usually colour with Promakers so can't help you there I'm afraid.
Sue
Hello :) I like both of your cards-but if i had to chose i would say the top brighter yellow one-only because it stands out more(and Sunflowers are my very favourite flowers!)Im not a colourer im afraid but have you ever had a look at Any Rysavy over on Prairie Paper And Ink ??she has a yYou Tube channel and does some tutorials -hugs :) x
Great cards.
I think the one with watercolour is more brighter Jo..cause the card number 2 looks more darker (I mean the flower color) and better to choose the brighter looks happiness on your card....how are u Jo..big hugs...
Love them both Jo, fab design and faux stitching.
Donna x
Very very pretty - love the colours set against the kraft card. jenx
Both cards are gorgeous Jo. You colouring looks great to me, I have found that distress inks work better on absorbent card and not well on the shiny card I use for my copics.
Your cards are gorgeous and I love the colours you have used, hugs x x
both are lovely. I think you have coloured wonderfully.
Both cards are fabulous but I think the watercolours pencil one is best since the colours blended together better.
luv
Debby
both so gorgeous jo.i love the sunflowers :D
xx coops xx
Usually tutorials can be found for most things on You Tube and often on Split Coast Stampers too.
I prefer the first card too, I like the vibrancy of the colours for this particular image!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"
Hi Jo, I'm coming to visit after you left a lovely comment on my blog, thank you!
I have to say I love the first card best. And I mean, I LOVE it!
I don't know anything about coloring with DI, and I just got the big Prismacolor set and need help myself. The only blog I have bookmarked so far is a lady who is AMAZING with her colored pencils. It is dorcasdesigns.blogspot.com. She has a "tutorial" tab.
Hi Jo, OOh they are both fab, gorgeous design, can't help with the tutorials I'm afraid but if you add water to the DI you can blend more easily and you will always get a more muted result ( which I love) I love the bright watercolour pencils result too, it's so vibrant! I hope you're enjoying a great weekend, Hugs Gay xxx
Lovely cards Jo! I'm afraid I can't help you with the colouring ... are you using watercolour paper for your pencils, sometimes that helps.
Hope its still sunny and warm with you ... unfortunately it's windy, cold and wet here. Don't ya love our summer!
i think they are both pretty, Jo! i think distress inks tend to mellow done a bit when they are dry, but it just gives a more aged look. love what you did here!
Hi Ju, I'm with the others and I really love the vibrant top flower. I'm no help with colouring I'm afraid and could do with some assistance myself!
Thank you for your kind comments on my blog and I'm sorry you have had trouble signing up. You were right in that for some reason it has not recognised you but being a techno infant, I'm afraid I don't know what to do to correct it. Feeble I know!!
I don't think you did anything wrong. I like the first card better only because the colors are more vibrant. I do find that I like the thinner weight watercolor paper when I'm coloring with distress inks (90 lb.). Hugs!
Hi Jo, I'm intrigued by the acrylic paint:0) I hope you're going to share LOL Thanks for dropping by, hugs Gay xxx
I think both cards look wonderful and each colouring technique gives a totally different feel...I do like the brightness and pigment on the first card, but definitely not much between them... Hope that helps! :)
Hope all is ok with you and fab card!
Love Emma xx
Post a Comment