Saturday, 7 February 2015

National Libraries Day!

Just wishing everyone in the UK a very happy National Libraries Day!


I dropped in at my local library today to take a selfie or 'SHELFIE' to upload to the NLD site. This caused considerable amusement for the staff and also added to my 'crazy-lady' credentials with my husband. I've challenged the children at school to do this so couldn't NOT do it myself!

I'm not going to get all political on you but during my career in public and school libraries I've been humbled again and again to witness the power of books, reading and access to information to change lives for the better. John Lydon aka Johnny Rotton sums up what libraries meant for him as a child recovering from a life threatening illness in this message of support for public libraries. Some of us may go through an entire lifetime without ever passing through the door of a public library but for many others they are a sometimes unexpected lifeline for relaxation, lifelong learning, creativity, support and friendship.

Please love your library, please use your library. Libraries and all they offer are one of the corner-stones of our society... they are special and they are ours. Let's not belong to the generation history remembers as the one that let this precious resource slip away...

6 comments:

Donna Mosley said...

Fab shelfie Jo.

Donna x

Monika Reeck said...

Nice eyes...but hmm no complete face Jo...hugs...n miss you again...Monika

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Great selfie :-)
Hands up - I haven't been to a library in years. I don't even know where my local one is !!
I do read voraciously though - anything and everything :-)
Caroline xxx

Dawn T said...

Great selfie...

Lynne in NI said...

Heee, fun pic, glad to hear you're adding to your crazy lady list amongst the locals ;)
I love my library, I'm not one for re-reading books so don't see the point of buying one when you can borrow it for free! I did try reading books on the kindle but I'd much rather turn real pages :)

Anonymous said...

I just love public libraries Jo... I visit mine every month and come back with books that give me hours and hours of sheer pleasure... Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine