Saturday, 13 January 2018

The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers Challenge #101 - T is for Technique


It's hard to believe that we're about to launch into our first challenge of 2018 over at The Sisterhood, but it's totally true!


This challenge is called 'T is for Technique' and required more than a little head scratching from Yours truly as I wasn't sure which technique to showcase. After some though, and a little chat with my mom (who, luckily, is a fellow crafter) I decided to go with gilding.

I used an 'oldie but goodie' Cuttlebug embossing folder to create a pattern on some black card and then used some gilding wax (thanks, Mom) to create a metallic effect. I also did a little heat embossing to create the sentiment and to cover the die-cut bird in gold. I've never used gilding wax before, but enjoyed learning a new technique. If you ever use gilding wax, you'll quickly discover that a little goes a long way. I found this Crafter's Companion video very helpful in getting me started, but there are heaps of really good videos available out there to choose from.

As always, The Snarkettes have created some fabulous cards which you won't want to miss. We've had a blast with this challenge and can't wait to see your creations too!



15 comments:

Majo said...

This is so elegant, dear Sistah ♥

Barbara Godden said...

Oh this looks like a technique I should try, I have some little pots of metallic creamy stuff (name eludes me) but just had to have it and I have used it once. Anyway thanks for the link to the video I'll have a peek at it. Even though the folder is old it's still a fav of mine and it goes so well with the focal image of the bird. lovely design.

ionabunny said...

Love this. So elegant. I have so many embossing folders I really should wheel a few out. HUgz

Jane Willis said...

Oooh you've reminded me I've not used gilding wax for ages. It looks stunning here, so elegant

Lindsey said...

Haven't tried gilding wax, but what a beautiful effect here! (Question: is it small? Seems to me it might be...) A gorgeous card, Jo!

Marina said...

What a gorgeous effect - looks like embossed metal in an art gallery!

Billie A said...

So pretty

CinnamonSally said...

Fabulous card Jo, love that different look.

Nicole Parmentier said...

Wow this is Stunning Jo! I had never seen this technique, it is really cool!!

Lynne in NI said...

Ooooh what a gorgeous card Jo, the metallic effect looks like great fun :)

Dawn T said...

Great technique Jo. The embossed background looks amazing in the gilding.

Cara said...

This looks fabulous, a very opulent looking card x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh yes Jo! brilliant choice of technique. I so love gilding wax as it really makes any texture stand out brilliantly. The little bird is nice too, don't know that die. Happy creative week, Angela xxx

Chris Dring said...

Oooh! What a fun technique! Looks like much fun was had. Fabulous card Jo!

Monika Reeck said...

The technique you shoe is woooowww GILDING
so adorable...yes that Cuttlebug Embossing Folder is so sweet on your card...Never buy Gilding Wax and this is cool...your mom is a great crafter cant believe
Love your card Jo
so much texture and adorable
I type in the office thats why cant so long text :((
hugs
Monika