Thursday, 23 April 2020

Seize the Heroes!



Hi everyone, I hope that you are doing ok and managing to keep busy and healthy during Lockdown. I'm crafting up a storm when I'm not at work as I find it hugely helpful with keeping a positive mindset.

I was delighted to see that they lovely folk at Seize the Birthday have temporarily put aside birthday challenges and given us the opportunity to create cards to say thank you to some of the ordinary people who are stepping up and going above and beyond during these difficult times. What a sweet thing to do.

Here in the UK we are totally smitten with a ninety-nine year old former soldier who vowed to walk 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday to raise money for the NHS.


This is Captain Tom, and he's raised an amazing £28 million by slowly and patiently lapping his garden day after day until he reached 100 laps. It's his birthday on April 30th and thousands of us have decided to send him a card!

Here's the card I've made for him.


As Captain Tom is a former soldier, I wanted a slightly military look to his card - possibly like a cap badge or similar. After a little Googling I found his regimental colours and went with them as the palette for my card. As the card was mainly a die-cut creation it was very quick and easy to make.

There's still time to play along in this challenge. If you haven't any healthcare worker images, and would like to pay tribute to their courage and hard work you can find free MFT Birdie Brown digital images of doctors and nurses here.

Keep safe!

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Heroes are everywhere and his wonderful man is certainly a HERO! So glad that you picked him to make a send a card to. I loved reading about him on your blog and I think that your card made with a military look is a great tribute. Thanks for joining us in this special challenge at Seize the Birthday.
Stay safe and healthy,
Barbara

I Card Everyone said...

Just the guy I think deserves all this recognition, Jo! and all the cards he can handle! What a feat for a 99 year old!
BTW My great-grandfather served with Royal 99th! THE very regiment from where the 'dressed to the nines' term was coined!
I'll be looking for Captain Tom's address - hope the challenge has it to share!
=]

I Card Everyone said...

OH and YOUR CARD DESERVES A MEDAL, TOO!!
=]

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful card and what a great idea to use his regimental colours.

Lynne in NI said...

He is truly an inspiration, he will love your card x

Lindsey said...

This definitely qualifies for our hero challenge! (We recently had a Canadian vet whose son put out a request for a hundred cards for his dad's 100th birthday - he ended up with thousands of cards! One from me, of course.) ;) Great idea to use his regimental colours. Thanks for linking up with us!

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome card and he will love it, what a special man and Congrats to him for reaching his goal.

JoAnn said...

A great hero and a wonderful way to give tribute to him. Your card is wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday (Heroes).

Nicole Parmentier said...

How cool is this Captain Tom! You made a beautiful card for him!

Trina P. said...

When I saw this story on the news, it melted my heart. So inspiring. Great card.

Nancy said...

I nearly cried every time I saw this on the news! He is such a darling man! What a fabulous card for a true hero! So deserving! Thanks so much for playing along with our special challenge of Seize the Heroes!

Pop's Cards said...

I love this, he is a true Hero here, I see all the celbs crying as they cannot go out and this little old guy has decided not to whine but do something positive, your card is brilliant, hugs Pops x