Friday, 25 September 2009

Make a child smile challenge

The lovely Nikki from Sealed with a Stamp has decided to celebrate her one year 'blogiversary' with a very special challenge. Nikki is asking everyone to make a card for a child who is poorly. This challenge is running until October 16th when Nikki plans to randomly draw a winner. There is some rather lovely candy on offer too!
I began my career as a Children's Librarian and used to read to children in some of the local hospitals. This was a wonderful, though sometimes challenging experience. I have some amazing memories of these brave children so felt extra inspired to play along with Nikki's challenge.
One of my favourite stories as a child was the wonderful Danish children's poem 'Wynken, Blynken and Nod'. Sadly, my copy of this beautiful little book disappeared years ago during a house move. However, I couldn't believe my luck when I discovered a digi-stamp image of Wynken, Blynken and Nod over at the fabulous Mo's Digital Pencil!
I have a little project planned for my adorable niece with this image, but first I decided to use it to make my card for Nikki's challenge.



I am sending this card, along with the poem, to a very special little girl called Mollie.
I read about Mollie on the Post Pals website. She has a very rare condition called Fetal Warfarin Syndrome, which was caused because her mom was prescribed the drug Warfarin during early pregnancy.
I hope that this little card and poem will make Mollie smile.

2 comments:

Nikki Schmaltz said...

OH MY! You did an amazing job with this. It is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for participating and the lovely write up. I am sure Mollie will smile. That Mo has some fabulous images!

Elise said...

Ohhh, Dotty Jo! You will certainly make a child smile with this card, but you made me weepy! (And that's a good thing!) This is a beautiful cause and your post was incredibly moving! Not to mention that your card here is OVER the TOP! Super star quality: EXCELLENT! The color work is drop dead gorgeous and YOU are a MIGHTY TALENT, indeed! {And ~ I just ADORE you!}